Monday, May 28, 2007

Cats and Wastepaper baskets

I think if cats were to become people, they would mostly be quilters. It is obvious that most cats love fabric and quilt tops as much as their owners. In addition to always being on top of any project I have on my floor, my cats are always jockeying for position as close to my sewing machine as possible, and typically crawl under any project that I'm lap quilting.

As I watched my cat Bernie lounging with my DH this morning, I realized that cats (as quilters) also really enjoy quiet time with a good book.







When I was in college, one of my professors said you could tell how good a photographer was by the size of their wastepaper baskets -- the bigger the garbage pail, the better the photographer. You have to realize that not everything is quality and only hang on to (and share) the truly special pieces.

I am wondering if the same applies to quilters. Today (I think for the first time) I threw away some flying geese that seemed beyond repair. In the past I would have tried to force these into a quilt. I'd think about how much time it took to cut, sew and press the pieces and not want to do it again. I'm learning to enjoy the quilting process as much as the finished product and, as a step toward improving my skills, I am glad that I chose to ditch substandard work and take the time to remake these geese. More of this quilt later...


4 comments:

Jenni said...

I so miss having a cat. I know what you mean about tossing something out, sometimes you have to know when to give up.

Paula, the quilter said...

It is so hard to throw away something that you have labored over, but the end product is so much better for just having done so. I miss my furry guys a lot; it has been several years since we haven't had a cat around.

Saska said...

Such a loveable lap-warmer.

I have some of those not-so-perfect blocks in my scrap bin too. I usually save them and stick them in a string block. Makes for interesting lines.

The Calico Cat said...

Beautiful helper kitty!