Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Lap quilting


I am hand quilting this enormous queen-sized monster -- without a hoop or frame. I've tried both hoops and frames and just can't seem to get the elusive rocking motion down. I have a theory that the whole thing is made up to trick new quilters; a hazing of sorts. So I ditched the frame and hoop and just take my time lap quilting.

My favorite part about hand quilting is spending so much time, so close to the quilt. I think hand quilting is when I become most attached to projects. This quilt is extra special because many of the bricks are old cloths of mine and my DH. Flannel shirts, linen skirts, khaki pants, even an old camisole. It's going to take me a while to finish, but I know I'll love the result.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Makes me think of my denim and flannelette quilt ('nearly' finished LOL). It is made from old jeans and flannel shirts etc. It has denim from a lot of family members and some from the charity shop too. I did quilt as you go which is a relief now that I'm near the end, as it is very heavy.

Valerie said...

Ha! I love it - your comment about the rocking stitch. I have a heck of a time with it also. I just can't manage quilting without a hoop though! I'm so impressed! I tried with a project I currently have in a hoop and quilted a bunch of wrinkles into it, even with all my efforts not to. Lol* :)