Friday, June 8, 2007

Binge shopping and sick days

Who gets tonsillitis when they are 30? Who? Isn't this a disease of little kids?!?

I've been home sick from work almost all week. My machine, stash and UFOs have been staring at me but I haven't really felt inspired, so I took a cue from some stashbusters and decided to make my scrap bin useful.

Two days ago it looked like this:


I disdained my scraps for existing. The pieces were too big to throw out, but I was DONE with them and wanted them to disappear. What could I do with such cast off pieces?

Ta da!

I've also been reading a lot about fabric diets and am going to embark on one of my own. NO MORE FABRIC for the rest of 2007! (unless I need it for a project. also excluding the yummy monthly treasure packs I get from Dakota Cabin Quilts.)

But before I started my diet, I had to binge shop a little. I've been doing the Quilt Index Mall Crawl and I kept happening upon gorgeous fabric I needed to have -- Moda's Sunshine line by April Cornell...well, I specifically looked for it at every shop I visited, but that's neither here nor there. :)

After deciding that I wanted yardage instead of a FQ bundle, I binged at Desperate Quilters, which is a new store to me. I ordered late last night, and they've already shipped my fabric! Photos when it arrives.

(After I stop drooling.)

9 comments:

Pam said...

So sorry you're sick -- it is so miserable to have a sore throat.

That is a good idea to cut the scraps up like that - even if you don't feel inspired it is a nice quilty thing to do and make you feel like you accomplished something. I should try it - LOL

The Sunshine fabric is so pretty. I have a couple of charm packs of it.

Nancy said...

You've found exactly the activity I like to do when I don't feel like doing anything but don't feel like doing nothing. I cut up scraps. Now to just DO something with them!

And I've been drooling over that fabric collection too. Thanks for the link. I've never shopped there and it looks like they have good prices.

Little Penpen said...

Now remember, you must still eat when you are on a diet.... just not as much. ha ha Which means you can still buy fabric... just not as much! I sent your dress patterns out today!

Hanne said...

My take on the fabric diet is to use more than I buy - if not I will starve joy, and that is not right, right? ;-)

Unknown said...

My scraps need some working on as well. You don´t happen to be flying over to Europe in the next time, do you?! It is a great idea to arrange scraps that way. I wish you luck on your fabric diet and I hope you get better soon. Take care.

jovaliquilts said...

Sorry about your tonsils! Hope you feel better soon. I do love your very neatly cut scraps. I'm a little afraid to start cutting mine for fear I'll obsess with getting them all neatly organized (not that quilters are necessarily obsessive, but...!).
Cheri

Nancy said...

I have to say thank you for turning me onto Desperate Quilters. I ordered Friday morning, they shipped Friday afternoon, and I got my fabrics Monday morning! If you want to see my lovelies that ARE ALL YOUR FAULT I just posted a picture on my blog. :-)

Shelina said...

Joanna, I hope you feel better soon. But imagine all the icecream you can eat to cool your throat!
I came over here because Nancy sent me. That Moda collection is gorgeous. It looks better on Nancy's blog than on the website.
Your scrap bucket looks great. You can come over anytime to cut my fabric. I've been meaning to do something like that to it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Unknown said...

I hope you are feeling better. You sure organized your fabrics.