Sunday, September 9, 2007

50s dresses and stormy seas

I saw these dresses on Penny's blog ages ago and she sent me the patterns. They are going into a wall hanging for my mom for Christmas. I think I'm going to do a 50s theme for her presents this year. I've got a nice apron pattern and hope to find some retro fabric to make it from.



The other project I started this week is a little Storm at Sea wallhanging. I got these gorgeous fabrics from Dakota Cabin Quilts monthly treasure pack back in January. I am obessesed with Deadlist Catch on the Discovery Channel and decided to call this wintery work in progress "Bering Sea." It''s going to go slowly, I'm sure. I'm not really a paper-piecer and don't have much patience for it. But tackling these blocks by traditional peicing might be even more difficult.



Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Sweet P said...

Your dress stitcheries are adorable. I believe those patterns are from Bobby Socks Quilt Company. I'm sure your mom will adore the wall hanging.

The Calico Cat said...

neat storm at sea - love that light blue.

Norma said...

All those shades of blue are really striking. I bet once you finish you will be more comfortable with the pp piecing.

Wendy said...

Your Mom will love the dress stitcheries, they are so adorable.

I hope the PP gets easier for you.

Floss said...

Love the dress, they are adorable.
I have done only a couple of storm at sea blocks, did it half paper pieced and half traditional pieced. I think they are both about the same.

Unknown said...

The dresses are beautiful. They will make a lovely gift for your mother.

Unknown said...

My goodness, your are so amazing! Love the fabrics for the Storn @ Sea and tell your mom I'm stealing those dresses!! I want them all!!

jovaliquilts said...

Awesome fabrics for your storm at sea! I love snowflakey, wintry things.

Saw the Deadliest Catch once, couldn't believe it was real! I mean, I do believe it, but it's unbelievable. My husband read about it so we watched. Frightening!

Rose Marie said...

Love the pattern and colours and the title and the show is our favourite to watch.

Kieny The Dutchlady said...

Lovely blue colours and great title. I tried to send you a reply email but I didn't come through!

Little Penpen said...

Your dresses look great and NO, I am not finished with mine yet. Please do post a picture of your finished quilt. I still haven't decided how I will put mine together. Your mom will be thrilled with her gift.

Vickie E said...

Those Dresses are wonderful! I saved those patterns myself to make them and haven't yet...I am so impressed with your hand work...just lovely. Thanks for sharing on your blog.